Miranda Kerr, one of Australia’s darlings (famous for being a model and married to Orlando Bloom of Lord of the Rings fame, amongst other things) has started an organic skincare company, Kora Organics. Recently she shared her favourite home made organic shampoo recipe recently which she actually uses herself, and could be an idea for the lavender I just harvested! I already use an organic lavender shampoo, but making my own might just save me some money.
Lavender and Jojoba Shampoo
1. Bring 1½ cups of distilled water to a boil in a medium saucepan, and then remove from heat. Add 1 tbsp of dried lavender flowers, 1 tbsp of dried rosemary, 1 tbsp of dried nettle and 2 tbsp of dried chamomile flowers.
2. Cover the water and herb mixture tightly, and allow it to steep for at least 30 minutes. Any other essential oil may be substituted for lavender, if necessary or desired.
3. Strain the liquid into a medium-sized bowl, and add 1 tsp of jojoba oil (organic if possible). Stir vigorously to combine.
4. Add ½ tsp of lavender essential oil and half a cup of organic castile soap, and stir thoroughly. Pour the shampoo into a plastic squeeze bottle, and label with the contents and date.
5. Store the organic shampoo in the refrigerator to preserve freshness. A small bottle can be kept in the shower for no longer than a week, if desired. Use 1 tbsp per application. Shake the bottle before use to mix any oil that has separated.