Since my last post (six months ago, whoops), Tim and I have moved house. And the best bit? The garden!! It was definitely on my list of must haves for our new place. Although I have to admit that I didn’t actually realise it had a proper vege patch until the day we moved in, when Jess discovered it underneath knee-high weeds! I thought it was an extension of the lawn, but thankfully not. So we have a little patch of lawn, a vege patch (about 2mx1m roughly) and a smaller patch by the door with a dis-used pond which I have dubbed the herb garden. The back lawn is also totally out of control, with mostly weeds and horrible lumpy grass gone to seed.
So we have been in the house 2 months now (moved in 1 Nov) and SO MUCH has happened in the garden. While we are renting, our lease says we are responsible for maintaining the gardens. Clearly the last tenants did not do this! There has been a heap of work getting it to the place it is now, with lots more work to go particularly for the lawn.
First I had to prep the garden bed. I had to clear the weeds, clear random rocks and rubbish from the soil, aerate and break up lumps in the soil (it was very compacted and almost a bit mouldy in places, weird). Then I planted out the sage (after a good prune), the thyme (which has gotten huge), and the rosemary bush. I put pea straw mulch all over the garden to help with weeds and water retention for the hot summer days. Then I decided to get some marigolds, sweet alyssum, strawberry and parsley to plant as well. Sadly most of the parsley didn’t last the first hot day but three of the little plants did (next time I’m told I should plant them in clumps). Finally, I put a bamboo border on to stop people trampling on the garden bed.
Here is the herb garden progress
Not quite an original before photo, but after the first big weeding session when the weeds grew back!
Then during the second big weeding session:
After first plants:
And finally, after border and other plants put in:
Here you can see the strawberry planted in between some rocks in the water feature, hopefully this works! The other plant is a diachondra ground cover.
VEGE PATCH, LAWN, COMPOST HEAP
I don’t have as many photos of the vege patch and lawn, but I have planted two tomato plants, a punnet of rainbow beetroot seedlings, five zucchini plants, five eggplant bushes (from seedlings) and a rhubarb cutting from Tim’s grandma. I also have leeks still to plant out, and iceberg lettuce which I have grown from seed. I also created a makeshift compost heap using chicken wire and stakes, and am in the process of digging up the horrible weeds and grasses in order to re-sow it.
Fixing the soil – adding compost, levelling, breaking up clumps
Here is the lawn before
Other photos around the yard: fig not happy to start with but after some settling in and fertiliser, now has 9 huge figs. Frank the lemon has blossomed, literally and figuratively, and there are lots of little lemons growing. Poppy grown from seed doing pretty well, lettuce getting bigger every day. I also PH tested the soil and its neutral meaning I don’t have to added lime or anything into it. I did add some organic compost though.
Hopefully my next post will be around the end of Jan and will be a TABLE related post! My goal is to have the table built on Australia day. Why not! Here is a selection of table shots to date – cleaning the wood, sanding the wood (using all possible safety gear available), and getting a new power drill for Christmas!! These photos show the difference between the wood before it was cleaned and after, and the difference sanding makes too. All I really have to do now is finish sanding and assemble the thing!
Left side sanded, right side not sanded